Wednesday, June 13, 2007

i ain't axing, i'm telling.

seen in the sam's club parking lot:



things women over sixty should avoid
- Floor-length floral printed dresses
- Muumuus (unless they are for lounging around the house)
- Long (ankle length), unstructured, A-line skirts
- Elastic-waisted pants that make everyone look like a balloon
- Unstructured pants and suits
- Large, oversized t-shirts
- Khaki/mauve-colored grandma flats
- Unstylish jumper-type dresses (usually made of khaki or jean material)
- Sweaters with embroidery, appliques, etc (especially christmas sweaters)

i think this list is a good rule of thumb for everyone!

something fun:
my friend jessica emailed me this soopercool new website about reading, which just happens to be one of the favorite things to do after talking about clothes and picking on other people's flaws. i invite everyone to sign up and become my friend! goodreads! i hope this encourages everyone to start a summer reading list. i know that i have enjoyed my summer of reading! so far i have read gone with the wind, scarlett and i am currently enjoying the education of little tree. this was probably the 47th time that i have read gone with the wind and i love it more each time! it is like scripture to me. each time i read it i find something new or something stands out to me more than normal. i cried a lot this time because i found it so emotionally draining. i blame it on pregnancy. then for some reason i felt the need to read scarlett, the so-called sequel to GWTW. bleah. i recall now why i have only read this once. this is not the sequel to me. this is just someone else's conjecture of what might have happened if scarlett had only gotten stupider after all she learned and experienced in GWTW. scarlett takes forever to get anywhere and once the book gets somewhere, it is just more plodding along aimlessly. lot's of loose endings that are never tied up. the character development is that of an afterschool special. cheap thrills in yucksville. plus, the writing style of the author is sub-par to that of margaret mitchell. it is not that ripley is an unenjoyable writer, but you can tell that she was used to writing salacious, quickly-written, trashy paperbacks(that i would probably still enjoy), not sweeping, lushly descriptive, epic novels of magnanimous proportions. anyway, i have had that on my chest for quite a while and i am sure thomas is tired of my daily GWTW dissections, dissertations and discussions. anywhooo, i challenge one and all to make GWTW their summer reading project.
ps-yes, i already know, scarlett is mean. that is not news and isn't the point of the book. read it anyway.



finally, this gave my funny bone a good tickle. it is an image from the japanese stage version of gone with the wind. when i was little i watched the movie big bird goes to japan. after that i really wanted to be japanese when i grew up. this is the best of both worlds.

i also wanted to be judy jetson when i grew up. i didn't understand that you couldn't become a cartoon as a career. lisa bahr was the one that pointed that out to me. thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams lisa!

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Sweetheart, this is one of the funniest blogs you've done. I can't believe no one has commented, so I thought I'd let you know how great it is.

lrbodine said...

I am also a big Gone with the Wind fan. I loved the book as a child as well. Although I still think Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book and movie. I love all the versions of it in movie form too! :)

Caroline said...

I totally agree with the list of things to avoid!
Okay-so maybe one day I will try again to read GWTW! Especially after today hearing Chandler say he watched the movie at school and liked it!

Rachel said...

Oh that Lisa Bahr, the way she just dashes dreams left and right. You could have pulled it off.
I actually tried to check out GWTW but none were available at the library, your post must have been well read.
Thanks for the laugh, I am glad my family keeps getting mentioned, positive or not!!!
:)